Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Saving Money: 7 Tips When Putting Gas in Your Car to Save Moolah


Putting gas in my car is one of my most disliked chores. I find it a pain in the you know what! That may be because I never fill it until I absolutely have to. It never fails, I am about to run out of gas on a day I am running late to an appointment I have to be on time for! I so badly want to invest in a hybrid but we aren't ready to do that financially yet!

In any case, this chore has to be done! I wanted to share some tips for saving money when filling up your gas guzzler. I don't naturally know a lot about this topic, so I did some research and here is what I learned:

1. Don't wait until the last minute.

Okay, if you read above you know I am guilty of waiting until the last minute! I am trying to get better at not doing that, I promise. When we wait until the last minute, we are more likely to buy impulsively (paying more money for the convenience of the closest gas station) and less likely to follow the rest of my tips! Also, the more air you have in your tank (a lot if air when close to empty), the faster your fuel evaporates!

2. Use an app.

There are apps out there that tell you where the cheapest fuel is. I personally like GasBuddy because it is FREE and easy to use. I just enter my city and search.

3. Fill up in the AM.

Fill your tank in the morning. This is the time when the ground temperature is lower (still a bit cold). The denser the fuel, the less it costs to fill up.

4. Use slow nozzle setting.

Most fuel nozzles have three settings. Pick the slowest setting to minimize vapors that can escape while you are pumping. In this case, a little longer wait will save you some cash!

5. Avoid getting gas when stations are refilling their gas storage.

Do not fill up while gas station tankers are delivering gas to the station's underground storage tanks. Unsettled dirt could potentially get into your tank while filling.

6. Tighten the cap.

Be sure your gas cap is on tight when you are done. This reportedly increases safety, gas mileage, and reduces emissions. I never would have guessed!

7. Maintain your car.

Keeping your car properly tuned up and maintained to ensure you get optimal gas mileage.

What tips do you have to save money on putting gas in your car?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts