Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Going Home

For absolutely no reason in particular, I decided to load the kids up and take them on a random trip to my hometown. Since I wasn't entirely sure if I would make the trip (illness and kids can happen at any time I've learned) my family only got a few hours notice that we were arriving. My kids were only told that morning as well and helped me to do a quick packing job.

Random 3 1/2 hour trips are very new for us since my kids previously didn't travel well at all. Like a 3 hour trip turns into 5 hours and kids cry the whole time kind of poor traveling trips we have endured. In the last few months though, they both seem to have transitioned into being a bit better at being harnessed into a vehicle for long periods of time. I like the think they are learning the end result is worth it. Who really knows though.

In any case, our chaotic family of three arrived in one piece. The kids had a blast seeing several aunts, uncles, cousins, great grandparents, and my parents. I love coming back to my small hometown in the middle of nowhere. I haven't lived in this town for over a decade but, yet, it still always feels like home to me. 

I loved taking walks with my children around the same block I grew up walking myself when I was their age. When I tried to explain that to my daughter she continued to tell me "I already know that and I played with you then." If only she understood she wasn't even on my radar when I was 3. 

It's amazing how fast time has gone by though. It's even more amazing that my parents live in the same house I grew up in. It gives me a lot of time for personal reflection of my own past and what I want for my children as they grow up.

We took a walk on a beautiful bridge and showed the kids the scenery my hometown has to offer. There was nothing more beautiful than soaking up the sun, taking in fresh air, viewing gorgeous scenery, and watching children bond.

We were sad to say goodbye but after a few nights, it all had to come to an end. An abrupt end to be exact. I stayed up too late with my siblings and parents and woke up too early to a child who peed the bed an another child who wanted to play long before they should have been rising. And, with that, we took our cue to exit. We left at about 7:30 in the morning and that allowed us to see many animals out on the way home, like deer, pheasants, horses, and cows. The kids were entertained by the animals outside their window.

Now, we are back adjusting to our regular routine and I'm playing catch up with the housework when I can. If you are looking for me, we'll be playing pretend birthday party, reminiscing about our recent adventure, and simultaneously having an indoor picnic.

I hope you are enjoying your week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts