Monday, February 10, 2014

What Does it Feel Like to be Alone?

A few days ago, my mother called me and mentioned that one of my siblings was struggling and "felt more alone than he ever has in his life."

My brother is going through some major life transitions. He has moved away from home, but this was the first time his move was permanent. After graduating high school, he tried out a few jobs away from home and looked into college, but he would always land softly back into my parent's comfy abode. *As a side note, I sometimes think we were raised by 2 different parents as returning back home never seemed to be an option for me after I graduated high school. We'll save that for another day.

This move was different though. He got a full time job (complete with benefits) and purchased his first house, 3 hours away from home! This time, in many ways, this move is more permanent than a 3 month stint away from home.

Loneliness. 

To borrow words from one of my favorite authors currently (it's amazing how having a child expands your world), Dr. Suess, in his book, Oh, the Places You'll Go!

"All Alone! Whether you like it or not, Alone will be something you'll be quite a lot."

Being alone is one of the worst parts of adulthood. Unfortunately, none of us can escape moments of loneliness. Although I have never lived alone and am rarely alone, I still have plenty of memories where I felt alone.

My most recent experience was after the birth of my child. There are weeks on end where, as a new mother, I would find myself sitting in a dimmed room, trying to get my child to sleep, and feel very much alone. During this short time, my schedule flipped with my child and I slept when my husband and family were home and awake and I roamed the house with our newborn at night.

Loneliness.

Being alone is very real, sometimes unpleasant, and very lonely. Yet, remind yourself we all experience this, one of the many reminders that you are human! Entering into adulthood, there seems to be more opportunity for loneliness to sink in. It is up to each of us to decide how to deal with our feelings of isolation.

A final quote from Dr. Suess:

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And you are the guy who'll decide where to go..."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts