Wednesday, October 26, 2016

What I hope my children treasure from their childhood

As I reflect on my own childhood, my thoughts are absorbed with time being outside. I remember playing hide and seek with neighborhood children, walking to my grandmother's house, building and hiding in snow igloos in the winter. I vividly can remember and smell all four seasons through various memories growing up. I spent the summers at my grandparent's house in the mountains, a very different landscape than the hills I grew up in. I can still smell my grandparent's town and home.

Thinking about how my husband's and my own childhood impacted who we are today has had a huge impact on the decisions we are making for our children. Most decisions aren't taken lightly at our house as we consider how what we're doing now can shape our children's lives. This has played a huge role in where we live, the animals we have, the company we keep, activities our children are in, and how we spend our money.

As I plan our days, I try to focus on what I want my children to remember. Sure, they are still young and may not remember much of these days but that will change eventually. I want you to remember the outside as well. I want you to know what it feels like to come inside to a warm, loving home. I hope that you can find a way to become as centered with nature as I have.  Therefore, we have been known to spend as much time outside as we possibly can. The weather plays a huge role in that though and we can't always make it out. Even two minutes outside can make a difference for us.

So, if you need us, you can find us outside soaking up that last few warm days we may have before winter begins.




As you can see, it only takes a few minutes outside and my children start to show the happiest sides of themselves.

1 comment:

  1. My best childhood memories were of being outside as well! The fresh air works wonders for kids and adults - it's like an instant pick-me-up :) Your kiddos are precious!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts