Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Random Facts about Me

As I sat down today to type this post I thought giving some random facts about myself might make for an interesting read. Here is what I can come up with:

1. I avoid going to the grocery store.

I would guess that I only go to the grocery store about 12 times per year. I know I have had a few years that would be much less than that. How do I do that? I plan ahead for almost all meals (or else we'd eat out a lot), purchase most of my fruits and vegetables through bountiful baskets, buy my chicken through co-ops, do freezer meals, and we buy our beef through a family member each year.

Recently, I have started occasionally using the grocery pick up services offered by some stores (like Hyvee). We don't live in the same town the Hyvee is in but if I am already headed that direction I place an online order and pick it up. This helps me stick to my grocery list and I never have to actually set foot in the store.

2. I love to read.

It gets harder to find time to read with children, but I do try to make this a priority. The current book I am working my way through is When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi. So far, it is so, so good.

I have a long list on my phone of books that I am recommended to read. I am slowly making my way through that list and adding to it as I go.

3. My husband and I have been together for a good chunk of my life.

I have dated my husband since high school. We will celebrate 8 years of marriage and 14 years since our first date in February. Wow! That's a lot of time and quite the commitment. It isn't always easy that's for sure. Add in several houses, 2 towns, 2 dogs, 2 kids, 4 college degrees, and several outside farm animals later and I couldn't have asked for a better life.

4. No opportunity to learn is turned down.

I love to learn and have a tendency to go full throttle when I am engaged in something new. I am currently very interested in minimalism and have been learning about this concept every where that I can. In no way do I think I could be a minimalist but, as someone who borders more on the hoarder side of the spectrum, I think there are some valuable tools and lifestyle choices I need to adopt. Immediately.

5. Our household is very frugal

We work hard to keep our cost of living as low as we possibly can. You can read more about what we do to save money here. To stay motivated, we talk about our goals frequently, use a budget, and follow several frugal blogs.

6. It takes me less than 30 minutes to get ready for my day

If we have no where to be, I most likely will stay in pajama/work out clothes all day. However, if I do have to go somewhere, my hair and makeup is done in less than 30 minutes. This is quite the change from before children. I can actually get myself and my 2 kids ready and out the door within 45 minutes when I have to, sometimes 30 mins if I move really, really fast.

7. I love coffee and I despise this fact.

For most of my life I was not a coffee drinker. Add in 1 baby and I became hooked very quickly. I love coffee but am not proud of that. It's not the coffee that is the problem but the extra stuff I love to add to it (hello, creamer). If I could change one thing about myself, it would probably be this, yet I seem to lack the motivation and energy to do so just yet.

8. I want my kids to know the quiet life.

This was a large part of why we jumped on the chance to move into the country. I grew up with my time completely scheduled (more like over scheduled) and was involved in every extracurricular I could be in. Sure, I loved all of that but challenges came for me as an adult. Suddenly I had an open schedule and had no idea what to do with my time or how to be alone. It was a good learning lesson but we would like to raise our children in a bit more slower paced life. There is something to be said about someone that knows how to sit in the quiet and be alone with themselves.

9. I have a masters degree in counseling.

I went to school to become a counselor. I enjoyed working on this career, but having children sidelined this for me. For now.

I still find this degree helpful as I interned at a children's behavioral clinic and learned many techniques that I implement with my children daily.

10. Ireland is on my bucket list.

Traveling is one of my favorite things to do! As with many things, traveling was pushed to the side when we had children. Some day though, we will pick up the pace with traveling again. When we do, Ireland is definitely on my dream list. Of all the places I have traveled before (a good chunk of the United States and many different locations in Mexico), home is my favorite places of them all.

There you have it. Some random facts I can think of off the top of my head. I would love to hear some details about you and your life! So give it to me, what are some facts about you? I don't care how random they are!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts