Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Planning to Get Sick

Most people don't want to get sick. I definitely don't like getting sick because long gone are the days of resting when ill. As a stay at home, work at home mom, life still resumes whether I am sick or not. My daily demands will still be there.

This week, our household is sick. We just have bad colds but we all feel like the wind has been kicked out of us. I almost always have preparations up my sleeve to help in these moments. Here are the pre-planned steps I have taken to help when our house is sick:

1. Freezer Meals
When sick, the last thing you want to do is cook. I try to always have premise meals in the freezer. This is perfect when I am sick or don't feel like cooking. These save our household money because otherwise we would be grabbing fast food.

So far for this week, I have pulled steak stir fry, tomato soup, and chicken noodle soup from our freezer for meals. I plan to restock the freezer again when I feel better.

2. Indoor Activities
Since we are all under the weather, the last thing we want is to spend all day outside. To keep my toddler entertained, I need some low key activities that haven't been overdone to hold her interest. I have a special coloring book and a tote of toys special for times like these. We pull these out and play the day away.

3. Short Periods of Time Outside
I find when I am sick, I still need periodic bursts of outside air to keep me from going stir-crazy. Although fall has just started here, I had previously pulled out our winter supplies. When sick, I feel that we should bundle up as much as possible to keep us from getting even worse. So, the stocking caps and heavy jackets come on. We also only go outside for short periods of time (10-20 minutes seems to be our normal) until we are fully recovered.

4. Medicine at Your Fingertips 
The last thing I want to do when sick is run to the store for medicine. I try to keep over the counter meds that we use when sick in stock at our house. This includes medicines like Tylenol and Ibuprofen for my child. 

As you can see, we really bunker down at our house when we get sick. This round of illness is just a reminder to me that winter (and more rounds of illnesses) is coming! How do you prepare forgetting sick? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts