Wednesday, October 8, 2014

What Moms Can't Do

When we first had our daughter, we were gifted tons of hand me down books from the family. To add to that huge pile of books, we also impulsively purchased a few boxes of someone else's book hand me downs. If you have followed this blog at all, you will have learned I love to read and hope my child does, too (play catch up here, here, and  see what's number 10 here).

Today, my daughter selected this book to read:
I was initially fascinated by the title of this book. My first words were, "there really isn't much that a mom can't do." The more I thought about this book and my own personal reaction to it, the more I realized there are actual limits to what I can do as a mother.

I put all that I have into everything I choose to do, yet sometimes I am left feeling like my pursuits still weren't my best work. As a mom, there are good days and bad days. I am still learning. If I had written the book on what mothers can't do, here are my top 5 points I would write to my daughter:

I can't stop thinking about you. Try as hard as I can, but thoughts of you always sneak their way in. Even when I am apart from you, like say on a kid-free date with the hubby, the conversation encompasses you.

I can't run the house like I used to. Chores look much different today than they used to. It's nearly impossible to fold a basket of laundry with you assisting. Baking gets a whole lot messier when you stir the bowl.

I can't hug you without kissing you, too. Despite my attempts to only hug you when I'm feeling ill, I can never not kiss you as well.

I can't seem to find balance. Okay, I have always struggled with making everything work perfectly. There seems to be a magnifying glass on me since having a child. There just is never enough time in the day for everything that needs done. I just have to live with that.

I can't fall asleep without running a mile long to-do list. A mom's mind is a fascinating thing. It's always thinking, planning, and working all while playing with our children, making meals, driving, and going through our day. It takes a long while for my mind to quiet down and let me fall asleep at night!

What would you say to your child that you can't do?


2 comments:

  1. Cute list! I can relate to these for sure. The sleeping thing is one I really wish I could turn off! :) #mommymoments

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only we could just lay down and go to sleep! Can't it be that easy???

      Delete

Popular Posts