Sunday, August 16, 2015

Riley is 1 month!

We've made it a whole month with baby Riley. In so many ways, it went by so fast, but in other ways it feels like we came home from the hospital years ago. Riley is such a blessing to our little family and blends in with us perfectly.

Since he hasn't mastered a ton of skills yet, we will focus on the basics (sleeping and eating). He seems to have a good handle on both of these. Riley feeds like a champ and demands to be fed at each 2-3 hour interval without fail.

When it comes to sleep, I really don't have much to complain about either. Riley loves to be held, rocked, and cuddled to sleep. We try to get as much time meeting this need as possible. It is more challenging with a toddler in the house, too. I'm finding that my Moby works wonders for balancing both kids!

Riley loves his long afternoon naps (3 hours typically) and is in bed between 6-7PM each night. At night, he wakes to be fed about every 3 hours. It takes about an hour to get him changed, fed, and back to sleep. I really have no issues with this as his sister was completely opposite. She had her days and nights backwards and was up most of the night at this age. I can appreciate getting some sleep at night this time around.

Morning naps are very short, usually lasting 20-40 minutes. This seems to be the period where he has the most awake time. Payton loves to read and sing to her baby brother as I make breakfast. She also loves to have him hang out with her after we finish eating. Sometimes this means going outside, playing cars, or watching a movie together. With the heat, unless we can get out early, we have been stuck inside for the most part! Bring on fall weather!

I did make it out for the first time on my own with the two kids. This trip was chaotic and makes me fear any subsequent outings! It took 2 hours from start to finish just to get both kids and myself ready and walking out the door. It's amazing how I would start to think I was ready only to have Payton ask for food or Riley need another diaper change. I almost cancelled our trip altogether a hundred times while we were getting ready.

As we walked to the car, both kids were crying. Why was I leaving the house again? I pushed forward and took the kids to the library. They both did well but chasing a toddler around while hauling an infant carrier everywhere was a struggle. I was ready for a coffee as soon as we got back home.

I am looking forward to what the next month has in store for us. We have a lot going on including a wedding I am in, family visiting, and me returning to work (part time, work from home). I see more craziness balancing the 2 children to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts