Monday, July 27, 2015

Our Birth Story: Welcoming Riley to the World

Now that we are a few weeks in after Riley's birth it's probably time for the birth story before I forget all the details. We are all adjusting well to our new addition but I seem to be struggling with exhaustion and finding enough hours in the day. As it goes with a newborn...

The birth of our son was even easier than the birth of our daughter (which wasn't bad at all, minus being evacuated from the hospital due to a fire). I feel incredibly blessed and am very thankful for two fairly easy births so far. I know this isn't always the case for everyone.

The day Riley was born began at around 4:15am as I made my usual mid-sleep trip to the bathroom. It was during this bathroom trip that my water broke. I woke up my husband to tell him it was baby time before packing my bag (yes, I waited until the last minute again) for the hospital. I called my mom as well so she could start her 3 hour trip to us. She had planned to take care of our daughter while we were in labor.

At about 5:30am, I headed to the hospital where I was admitted after they confirmed I was in labor. My husband stayed behind since our daughter was still sleeping. He arrived later that morning with our daughter and my mother. They all stayed for about an hour before my mother and daughter departed to enjoy their day together.

Initially, I was progressing quickly, but after a few hours I slowed down on progressing. It was decided to use pitocin and that I get an epidural to help me relax and progress quickly. That did the trick! 1 hour and a quick nap later and I was fully dilated and very ready to push! We had to wait another half hour for the doctor to arrive but once he was ready Riley came into the world quickly.

I pushed through a few contractions and Riley was here! He stole our hearts instantly. At first glance, he looked exactly like his sister. It melted my heart to see a little replica of my first child. I'm hoping he keeps his dark hair and dark eyes since his sister did not. Maybe wishful thinking but only time will tell. Riley, I can't wait to see how your story unfolds...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts