Thursday, April 24, 2014

RELAX

This week, I seem to find myself overwhelmed because, to be completely honest, there are more things on my to-do list than I can handle. My husband told me this morning he hasn't seen me all week, and he is right! I sometimes forget that I am just one person. Do you ever do that?

So, when all things become chaotic and I am being pushed to my limits, what do I do? Well, I want to panic and create massive to-do lists so I can see everything I have (over)committed to but that only increases my stress. This is actually the perfect time to focus on decreasing my stress. 

Even 10 minutes of relaxation can make you feel more calm and help you to refocus on your tasks at hand. Here are 5 ways to relax:

1. Make a list and do 1 thing!

Okay, so I said I wanted to write down my massive to-do list that is stressing me out, but that will only increase my stress! Instead, write a list of at least 5 things that calm you down. That could include: going for a walk, talking to a friend, listening to music, taking a bath, etc. Now, pick one thing off that list and do that activity right now!

2. Breathe

Take a whole minute (yes, 60 seconds) and breathe in deeply through your nose, hold that air in for a few seconds, and then slowly exhale. Repeat this exercise until your minute is up. Focus only on your breathing during this time.

3. Work those muscles

Starting at your toes, clench your muscles as tight as you can and then slowly release. Do this, working your way up the body. So I, start with my toes, then legs, then stomach, move to hands, and lastly clench and release my arms. You will feel much better afterwards! Repeat as needed!

4. Stress Ball

Stress balls are very inexpensive and easy to find (or make). With a stress ball, clear your mind and squeeze the ball in your hands for 60 seconds. Close your eyes if you need to!

5. Unplug

Give yourself a moment (or 10 minutes) by stepping away from the electronics. This includes your phone, computer, and television. Let the room be silent and still. Take a seat (or lay down, it makes no difference to me) and be in the moment. Clear your head and just sit still. Maybe take a nap?

The point is, it is nearly impossible for you to be stressed and relaxed at the same time. If your body is relaxed, your mind will be "tricked" to relax, too. Even if only for a moment!

So, what way did I relax? I took several deep breathes and cuddled my little one! Now, I feel much better about tackling my to-do list!

How has your week been going?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts